Interested in supervising a University SLP or SLPA Intern?
There may be a mentorship or supervisory opportunity for you. Supervising clinicians need to be licensed and ASHA certified for at least 2 years. Please contact Jane Krider at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Should the district ask you to supervise a SLP or SLPA student intern, please notify your Clinical Supervisor.
Changes to ASHA PD Requirements
New ASHA professional development requirements are taking effect January 1st, 2020.
All individuals who hold the CCC-SLP must take at least 1 hour of Ethics training out of the 30 required professional development hours for certification maintenance. This will begin with certificate holders in the January 1, 2020- December 31,2022 certification maintenance interval.
SLPs providing supervision or clinical instruction to students or Clinical Fellows for purposes of ASHA certification must complete 2 hours of professional development in the area of supervision/clinical instruction. This is only required one time after awarded the CCC-SLP.
New Pragmatics Test Available
The Clinical Assessment of Pragmatics (CAPs) is a newly published norm-referenced test that uses video scenes of real people in social situations. Its six subtests assess knowledge of pragmatic judgment (comprehension: “Did anything go wrong in this video?” and “What went wrong?”), performance of pragmatic language (expression: “What would you say and how?”), understanding contexts & emotions, and nonverbal cues. The CAPs is intended for children ages 7 to 18.
The CAPs is now part of the SPG inventory library, and we would love your feedback. If you would like to give this test a try, please contact Katherine Leiser (email@example.com) and be sure to share your thoughts about the test with your clinical supervisor.
Help is never far away!
At SPG, it is a priority to provide quality supervisory support and resources so that SLPs can be successful. In addition to your SPG Clinical Supervisor, who is never more than an email or call away, did you know of these other resources available to you?
- WorkForceGo, the same platform used to submit weekly time sheets, has a wealth of clinical and other resources. From the Our Company heading, select Documents, and peruse away!
- WriteTrackED is a web-based report-writing and caseload management tool available to all SPG SLPs. In addition to guiding writers through necessary components of airtight, school-based reports, WriteTrackED offers a number of norms and resources. Contact your clinical supervisor if you are interested in using WriteTrackED.
- SPG offers Special Interest Groups (SIGs) to connect with our colleagues who share our interests. Contact the point people below to join:
- If you have a question about AAC or AT, email SPG’s AAC/AT Clinical Supervisors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each fall and spring, SPG connects all new hires to be part of a Cohort. These cohorts will provide SLPs with a way to connect with other SLPs new to the company, California, and/or the SLP field.
- Keep an eye out for SPG gatherings in your region. These events are a great way to meet other SPG clinicians near you.
We hope that you will take advantage of these supports put in place for you, and we wish you all the best this school year!